Kennebec County Probate Court
Assists the Registrar of Probate by processing guardianships and conservatorships of adults and children.
- Be committed to the mission of the County.
- Work as a member of a team in the performance of duties.
- Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
- Work in harmonious relationships with all county staff and community.
- Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
- Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
- To understand and work within Kennebec County Government Policies and Procedures.
- To work collaboratively as a member of a team with various groups of staff depending on the issue addressed.
- To accept shared responsibility with other team members to successfully accomplish goal of each team, which he or she is a member.
- To assure quality in work performed in order to facilitate the delivery of quality services.
- Maintain confidence and protect County by keeping information concerning clients and County Operations confidential.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
- 1. Assists Court by processing new cases minor guardianships and or Estate cases for adults and minors.
- 2. Assists Court by processing terminations petitions on guardianships and conservatorships.
- 3. Assists public by filling out forms for all petitions and process payment.
- 4. Assists Probate Court and public by filling out child support guideline forms.
- 5. Ensures the protection of parents, children, Respondents by finding visitors and guardians’ ad litem to appoint and preparing orders for Judge.
- 6. Ensures the rights of parents, children or persons subject to guardianship by securing attorney and preparing order for Judge of Probate.
- 7. Ensures case integrity by providing copies of all cases to appointed attorneys, guardians’ ad litem, and visitors. Securing identity in cases with DHHS records protected under title 22.
- 8. Ensures accurate records by making sure supporting documents are filed before items go to hearing, birth and death certificates and parental rights and child support orders, exemplified records from another Court.
- 9. Ensures accurate records by making sure proper service of all interested parties is complete and an affidavit of service has been completed prior to any hearings.
- 10. Assists probate Judge by scheduling hearings and calendaring, pre-trial memorandums and motions. Making sure all guardian ad litem reports, physician reports and guardianship/conservatorship plans are filed 10 days prior to hearing.
- 11. Assists Court by keeping a calendar of motions that can be presented to the Judge without hearing.
- 12. Assists public and Court by working closely with attorneys, pro se public, BEAS, and the Attorney General’s office.
- 13. Ensures accurate records by working closely with Department of Human Services Child Support and Enforcement Division by checking for existing benefits and reporting all requests for support.
- 14. Ensures accuracy by making sure time constraints are met on ex parte appointments of guardianship and conservatorship.
- 15. Assists Court by marking files for Judge by tabbing pending motions, exhibits, missed deadlines and other important information.
- 16. Assists Court by following up on deadlines for inventory’s, bonds, plans.
- 17. Assists Court by setting up show cause hearings for contempt of Court and sets up service by Sheriff.
- 18. Assists litigants by preparing legal notices for missing and whereabouts unknown interested parties.
- 19. Assists Registrar by preparing index for Law Court on appeals in compliance with their policies and procedures.
- 20. Contributes to team effort by cross training to assist when others are absent in accomplishing related results as needed.
- 21. Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and establishing personal networks.
- 22. Demonstrates an understanding of the county’s safety policies and practices by attending required safety programs and reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazards to supervisor.
- 23. Fulfills job function by participating as an active member in all training, participating on county’s task forces, and performing other related duties as assigned.
- 24. Record hearings and perform court clerk duties including ability to reproduce
Recorded disks to send to transcribers for appeal or request of litigants.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, use a computer, mouse, typewriter, printer, copier, adding machine, and telephone.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet office conditions. Can, however, become stressful, loud and dangerous when dealing with AMHI guardianship clients.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS NEEDED FOR POSITION **:
** All requirements and skills are considered to be essential, unless otherwise indicated.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- College level courses in public administration and paralegal studies highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with the public
- Experience in family law cases or Estate and trusts prefered
- Three to five years experience as a legal secretary or probate clerk.
Registrar of Probate
All applications must be submitted by August 9th, 2022
Equal Opportunity Employer