INTERNAL APPLICATIONS ONLY
Paralegal (Informal Estates) - Fulltime
Kennebec County Probate Court
Assists the Register of probate by maintaining bookkeeping and assisting Registrar in adjudication of informal estates.
- Be committed to the mission of the Kennebec County Probate office.
- Work as a member of a team in the performance of all duties.
- Use active communication skills and de-escalation techniques when dealing with others.
- Assure quality in work performed and timely completion to facilitate the smooth function of legal proceedings.
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance, dress code is business casual.
- Understand and work within Kennebec County Government Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain confidence and protect County by keeping information concerning clients and County Operations confidential.
KEY EXPECTED RESULTS:
- Assures accurate financial records reconciling accounts and daily cash.
- Assures accurate records by reading and analyzing each will in order to prepare, Registrar’s findings and letters of authority.
- Assists the Register by maintaining complete accuracy while analyzing wills to prepare abstracts for filing in the Registry of Deeds, when real estate is involved.
- Assists the Court and Registrar by preparing a notification to heirs and devisees in processing informal wills.
- Assists Registrar by handling all proceedings concerning wills.
- Preparing notices for the media, information for the docket book, decrees, letters, and warrants.
- Preparing abstracts for Deeds and transferring to appropriate County Register of Deeds.
- Assist attorneys and general public either in person or telephone by advising procedure, answering non-legal questions related to probate.
- Assists at department counter by accepting filings on adoptions, guardian and/or conservator of adult and minors, estates and name changes.
- Assists court by typing documents necessary in proceedings and pull each file and checking to ensure all necessary documents have been filed for each matter scheduled.
- Assists court by docketing all mail received such as complaints, petition for order of complete settlement, petition to reopen estate and registration of trusts.
- Assists the public and attorneys by instructing them on the correct use of probate forms.
- Assists court by composing and typing correspondence related to probate matters.
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; establishing personal networks.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the County’s safety policies and practices by attending required safety programs; reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazards to supervisor.
- Fulfills job function by participating as an active member of training; participating on county task forces and performing other responsibilities as assigned.
- Continues education and training to be efficient in processing any and all Probate Proceedings as to be cross-trained for all paralegal positions within the Probate Office.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the Incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, computer, mouse, typewriter, printer, copy machine, and telephone.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Usual Office conditions. Noise level is usually quiet.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS NEEDED FOR POSITION **:
** All requirements and skills are considered to be essential, unless otherwise indicated.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- College level courses in public administration and paralegal studies highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with the public
- Three to five years experience as a legal secretary or probate clerk.
- Minimum of two (2) years responsible paralegal/clerical experience.
Register of Probate
Equal Opportunity Employer